I am such a sucker for bruschetta. It’s pretty much one of my favorite appetizers/snacks/oh heck I could make it a meal. Sometimes I don’t even need the bread, I just want to gobble up the chopped tomato-basil goodness. It always seemed so complex in my head; like how could I ever replicate it at home & all that time & all those ingredients & ugh, no thank you. & then I was eyeballing some garden fresh basil & tomatoes & that’s when it hit me: I could make this in a snap, with just a few things that were already sitting in my kitchen. So on a whim I chopped up a tomato & some basil, tossed some minced garlic in with a little olive oil & salt+pepper & I was in bruschetta heaven. & then the second feeling hit me: I’ve been ripping myself off paying nine bucks for this at the restaurants! I’ve been cheated! & now I’m wondering what else I can so easily re-create.. .
The other awesome thing about this is that it’s so perfect for just a single serving. & it totally hits the spot. But it’s easy to share too & easy to make more of. & easy to add some flare to. Toast up a baguette, add some mozzarella, layer with a little salami or cream cheese, or get crazy & do both!
What You Need:
- One large tomato, diced (I noticed that draining the tomato helped a lot too)
- 3-4 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (I totally used that pre-minced jar stuff)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt+Pepper to taste
What You Do:
- Mix all the ingredients together, super simple!
- For the bread I just sliced up a baguette, brushed a little olive oil on each side & heated them up on a pan til each side browned.
- Serve & enjoy!