So in honor of the inexplicable anticipation for the new season of Breaking Bad, we had to do it. It was as if we didn’t have a choice. & while meth seems more profitable.. . rock candy seems more tasty. Oh, & legal.
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of light corn syrup
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of flavoring extract ( we used raspberry)
- 1 drop of food gel coloring
- Line small cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat add the water, corn syrup, and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stop stirring. Brush down the sides of the pan to prevent crystals from forming and insert a candy thermometer.
- Continue to cook without stirring until the mixture gets to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (149 C)
- When temperature reaches 300° F, remove from heat and let sit until bubbles stop breaking from the surface.
- Add the flavoring and food coloring and stir together well.
- Pour the candy on prepared cookie sheet and tilt to form a thin layer and let sit completely until room temperature.
- Once set to room temperature, break into small pieces by hand.
- To store, place in airtight container and in room temperature.