I’m sure you’ve seen it. You should, it’s amazing. The coconut milk breakfast quinoa by How Sweet It Is. I’m pretty sure I made it the day after I saw it. & the day after that. & the day after that. & probably the day after that one. It’s delicious & filling & you feel good about all of it. & it’s good to feel good about it. Especially when it comes the morning after a night filled with beer & fried food. Which felt good at the time.. . but later.. . not so good.
But this.. . this is good.
So I took it, & twisted it up & around & finally settled on my own personal staple version of it. I skipped the coconut milk & used light vanilla soy because well, I am a fan of light vanilla soy milk. Oh, but I am a huge fan of coconut, so I toasted some & threw that in. & what’s my favorite things with coconut? Almonds. So, you know, those are in there too. & a banananananana duhhh. Cuz that’s pretty much the best part of it. But also some dried cranberries. I throw them in the last minute the quinoa is cooking so they break down & soften just a bit. I also throw in some chia seeds. Cuz they are good food you. & this is, you know, good.
Adapted from How Sweet It Is. This serves two. & you can add, subtract, or substitute pretty much anything you’d like.
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3/4 cup light vanilla soy milk + more for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or less depending on how much you like cinnamon)
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 banana, sliced
What You Do:
- In a small pot add quinoa, soy milk, cinnamon, vanilla & chia seeds & bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 5 minuets & add in the cranberries
- In a small pan lightly toast the coconut flakes.
- Separate in two bowls & drizzle some extra soy milk
- Sprinkle the coconut flakes & almonds. Enjoy!