Creamy Tomato Cavatappi
Makes about 6 servings
Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
What You Need:
- 16 ounces cavatappi pasta (feel free to substitute any pasta you like)
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into preferred sizes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 c heavy cream
- 5-6 big leaves of fresh basil, chopped
What You Do:
- Boil the asparagus for about 5 minutes. You want them to lose their crispiness but not become too soft. Remove from heat, strain, & save for later.
- Cook the pasta al dente, according to packaged instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, brown the sausages and cut them into slices.
- Add the onions and garlic to the sausage and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the entire can of diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce and heat through.
- Pour in the cream and heat through. The longer you cook the sauce the thicker it will get so simmer it until it is the consistency you want.
- Add the fresh basil and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the asparagus.
- Finally, mix the sausage sauce with the pasta and serve.
- Top each serving with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you’d like. Serve with garlic bread.