Makes about 12 cupcakes. Taken from Dishing the Divine.
What You Need:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, plus 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 – 1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
What You Do:
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position; heat the oven to 350F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add the butter, sour cream, egg, yolks, and vanilla and beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients at medium speed until smooth and satiny, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and stir by hand until smooth and no flour pockets remain.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cups of the prepared tin. Bake until the cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Use a skewer or paring knife to lift the cupcakes from the tin and transfer to a wire rack. Cool the cupcakes to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl. Add the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well between each addition. Stir in the cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Then stir in the vanilla. Beat the mixture well, until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cupcakes and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar, if desired.